What's the recommendation for flushing practice?
In lieu of much needed trial research, clinicians and organisations could make efforts to standardise and streamline flushing practice in order to minimise inconsistencies and optimise documentation.
The Infusion Nurses Society and many local guidelines recommend:
- initial assessment of the catheter site condition and the device patency;
- a minimum of pre- and post-drug administration flushing;
- use of single dose prefilled flush syringes to minimise device and solution contamination and incorrect syringe use;
- volume determined by size of catheter and patient;
- use of a pulsatile technique.
Documentation of site/device assessment and/or flushing would enhance best practice.